Who would be a more successful first time entrepreneur? A 10-year old or a 40-year old?
You would think the 40-year old would be hands down more successful, but I’m not convinced.
While the 40-year old has way more life experience and more financial resources, the 10-year old is more open and curious, has less worry and fear and a more abundant mindset.
Success as an entrepreneur takes a lot of courage, curiosity and imagination. The word entrepreneur is sometimes defined as, “a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.”
One of the key characteristics of an entrepreneur is being willing to take risks. A 10-year old is willing to take risks. They are curious and imaginative. So, it’s possible a 10-year old might be more successful as an entrepreneur.
So how can a 40-year old combine their strengths of life experience and expertise with that 10-year old curiosity, imagination and willingness to take risks? How might that make them more successful in business?
I know that not everyone grows up in a situation where kids can be kids, trusting the adults in their life, having all their physical, emotional and educational needs met, not having to worry. But I think everyone might be able to imagine what that might be like.
And try to imagine what that might be like to go to a time like that, a worry-free time, now after being an adult with lots of worries and fears.
What would that feel like?
I had the honor of helping out at a small day camp this week at my church. When I volunteer for the kid’s ministry at church, I usually think about what I can teach the kids. But this time I thought about what these kids might be able to teach us. I wondered what youthful imagination, wisdom and insight they might offer you.
I interviewed a few of them for my podcast, which comes out on Fridays. And here on this week’s blog, I’m sharing some of the types of questions I asked them.
Here’s the challenge I have for you. During your next thought download or self-coaching time, ask yourself some of these questions. But don’t answer them as your current self. Instead, become a childlike version of yourself so you can anchor yourself in a place where you have a very active imagination, where you’re free of worry and fear about the future, free from worry about judgment, free from the pain or pressure to make money. Ask the questions from that place and see where your imagination takes you.
Here are the questions I want you to ask yourself. You don’t have to answer all of them, but choose a few that perhaps you might be struggling with as an adult and ask them to that kid inside you.
* What if money is something God lets us use to see if we’ll trust Him or ourselves? How can we be responsible with our money?
* What are you really good at that you could do for someone to earn money? How much do you think someone would be willing to pay for that? If that’s something you really wanted or needed, what would you be willing to pay for it?
* How do businesses make money? What do you think about businesses and about money? What do you think about your ability to make money by having a business?
* How much money do you wish you had? Why? What would you do with the money? How much does God want you to have? How much do your Mom and Dad want you to have? Why would God or your parents want that for you? How will that make you feel when you have that?
* What do you want to be good at? Why? How would you get good at that? What don’t you need to be good at? Why?
* What do you need to be happy? What do you wish you had that you don’t have? How does God give you everything you need?
When you finish answering the questions you’ve chosen, do a 2-minute download of what you want to implement in your business from that childlike imagination.
I really want to hear what you came up with. DM me at @JillWrightCoaching on Facebook or Instagram and share with me what gift of imagination you unwrapped in this exercise.
Did you know that I still have a couple spots open in my M.A.S.T.E.R. Your Relationship With Money program?
AND … I have lots of resources on my website at https://jillwrightcoaching.com/ to help you sign MORE clients, help MORE people and make MORE money.
YOU are MADE for MORE – let me help you uncover your MORE!